Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tramontane and Ronde du Canigou

So first two races in France were bloody cold and windy, both races there was around 70 - 90 km/h winds and with the wind chill the temperature was in the minus. I don't think I have ever worn so much kit for a race....

Tramontane
This race was on a 30 km circuit done 4 times with 1 decent climb in it of about 6km. would have been a really good race for me had there been no wind.. From the start the first 3km were head wind then a right turn into a massive cross wind. The peleton instantly split up with people dropping wheels all over the show, there was a group of 20 at the front and that was the race already decided. I was in the 3rd group by the time we made it to the hill and I managed to bridge up to the second group in front on the hill and stayed with them for the rest of the race. I finished in 36th. Only 50 finished out of 200 starters. I was feeling ok but just suffering in the cold, especially in my lungs.

Ronde du Canigou
 Second race was on a big loop fairly hilly with one long climb of 6km again and then 3 finishing circuits at the end. This race I had much better positioning in the wind and made the 2nd group before the first hill. I was really feeling good on the climbs and I managed to bridge up to the first group with one other guy so there were 24 of us at the front. I was with them till 60km when in a cross wind section I got blown of the road and into the gravel, luckily managed to stay on my bike. But when I was back on the road I couldn't get back on the group. Unfortunately I had to wait for the group behind and ended up finishing with them in 32nd place. Again only 50 out of 200 finished. Also during this race I have picked up a bit of a knee problem which I think was from my new pedals, so Iv changed back to my old ones and I'm just trying to rest up my knee at the moment and really hoping its nothing to serious..................



The rest of the training camp went really well. Most of the guys are the same from last year so that's good. I am back at the apartment now and its snowing which is not so good.


In other news me and Martins bought a new coffee machine. Goes real good









No comments:

Post a Comment