Monday, May 23, 2011

Tour du Beaujolais



So this weekend I had a small tour in the region of Beaujolais which is just west of Lyon maybe an hour drive or so. Probably had the hottest weekend since I have been in France and it made the racing really enjoyable especially with the amazing scenery as Beaujolais is famous for its wines so there were a million vineyards.
Well anyways the race 3 stages, the first being 100km on Saturday on a rolling course but no long hills. Right from the start the pace was on and the peloton was single file through windy small road passing through a lot of small villages with a lot of corners, so before long there were a few breaks up the road and people trying to bridge all over the show and eventually when it settled down 15km in there was a group of tenish up the road and my group which was basically the peloton now, of 30 riders. The team only had 1 guy up the road and all the rest of us in the group behind so the chase was left up to us. I ended up doing a lot of work as I was feeling super strong( in hindsight it probly wasnt the smartest move ) and we caught the front bunch fairly quick. As soon as wee caught them attacks were going straight away. Went with a few but didnt quite pick the right attacks so a group of 6 got off the front and we had Jeremy in there so we didnt have to chase. In the end the group stayed away and Jeremy got 3rd on the stage, I was in the group behind, 16th.
2nd stage was on Sunday and completely flat on a circuit we did 4 times, I just sat in saving myself for the afternoon stage and finished in the bunch.
Last stage was 120km of rolling terrain like the first stage but probably a bit harder. I felt really good and was mostly helping out the team defend Jeremy's 3rd position on GC(he also had the U23 jersey). The whole stage seemed really easy to me, and I was really itching to try get off the front on the final KOM climb although unfortunately it wasn't as long as I hoped, and Jeremy put in a dig first and then over the top of the climb I tried to get away but it came to nothing. Then coming into the finish I looked behind and realized our group had only about 15riders and I was looking at my speedo and I have had training rides with a higher average heart rate than what I had at that point.. so anyway Jeremy said he wanted to have a crack at the sprint so I tried to give him a good lead out which wasn't to bad i thought and got 5th on the stage with me in 12th. I ended up moving into 9th GC so not too bad.
Im defiantly pleased with my form at the moment and can feel I can still improve. I am starting my build up to one of my main season goals Tour des Pays de Savoie on June 16th so all is basically towards that at the moment, will put more about the it another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment