Monday, February 7, 2011

First race- COURSES au SOLEIL





Arrived in spain all good and was stoked to find out the next week is gunna be good weather! So that will be a change.
Anyway the whole team is staying in a hotel in a small place called Amelie les Bains which is still in france but on the spanish border, and I will be staying here till the 14th.
So first race on saturday wasnt the best but it was a warm 20degrees. The race was 130km and pan flat and their were almost 200 riders so a massive field. I started the race mid pack and right from the start the pace was on and there were crosswinds.. not good when im in the mid back of the field so after 30km of riding in the gutter barely moving, the bunch statred spliting all over the show and I was caught out on the wrong on of the split. Most of the bunch came back together but my bunch didnt so I was stuck with 50 guys to ride the rest of the stage. Game over.
The next day I made sure I was always at the front I didnt want a repaet of the day before. Sundays race was 130km again but this time atleast had some hills, a lot of them, from 50km there was 50km of constantly up and down so something better suited for me. For the first 50k not much happened and made sure I was at the front just in case something did. At the start of the hills I was feeling great and just watched as the bunch got smaller. Nearing the end of the climbs a small group of 3 guys got away over the top of one the hills and I was just behind in a group of 4 but I kept screwing up my corning as im still getting used to euro braking (having the brakes round the opposite way) and I drifted back to the group behind and missed all the guys that bridged across to them.
So with about 10 or 15 up the road and about the same in my group and all flat to the finish it was going to be hard to catch as most the guys in my group also had team mates up the road, so there were only 5 of us in the front tring to pull back the front but it never hapend and we finished about a minute behind. I finifhed in 28th and first from my team.
Pretty disapointed as should have been up the front as I was clibing well enough just my decending let my down. So now time to focus on next weekends races.

No comments:

Post a Comment