Monday, February 21, 2011

GP du Pays d'Aix and Souvenir Jean Masse

For this weekend the first race I had was in Aix en Provence which is in the south of France so meant it was warm and sunny weather. The race was on a circuit we did 4 times and had 2 hills on it each a bout 4km with the 2nd one being a bit steeper. Being an elite national race there were about 150 riders at the start and was super fast for the first 50km, it didnt let up until a break of about 20ish riders got up the road.
There was only one guy from our team in it so we really needed someone else up there, luckily for me there was an italian team there that had no one in the break so they drove it from the bottom of the steeper hill on the 2nd lap and by the top there were only 7 of us left and about 10seconds off the back of the break and we caught them in the next few km.
Until the last lap not much happened, attacks went but they all came back. So the final selection was on the last hill where 4 guys got away, but for me it was race over for me as I hadnt eaten enough and I blew completely and crawled to the finish line for 30th place. Pretty ameture mistake so wasnt very happy..

After the race we drove to Marseille where we had a hotel for the night. Was pretty guttered we didnt get to have a better look around the city because it looked like an awesome place.

For Sundays race it was basically the same field as the day before but the course was super hilly. I also had a couple of team mates that were protecting me in the race, sheltering me from the wind and pulling me to the front etc. I recovered alright from the day before I wasnt 100percent recovered but pretty close.
For the first 100km I was just sitting in making sure I was near the front just in case there were any splits. Because it wasnt until the last 40km when we had 3 small circuits that were up and down the whole time with some really steep sections.
The bunch blew to pieces over the first lap and I was in a group of about 30 at the front. On the second time round a group of ten got away on a steep section at the top of one of the climbs about 15% gradient and I was so close to making the group I was only 5 or 10 meters of the back at the top of the climb but just couldnt close the gap, and so I was stuck with a group of about 15 that wouldnt do any work on the front and were slow on the hills. So I think I finished top 20 or 30 havnt seen results yet.
I was just so close to making that top group of ten on the climb it is just really really annoying me.

No comments:

Post a Comment